CHURCHYARD CROSS APPROXIMATELY 30 METRES EAST OF CHURCH OF ST. MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1308621
Date first listed:
22-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCHYARD CROSS APPROXIMATELY 30 METRES EAST OF CHURCH OF ST. MICHAEL, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCHYARD CROSS APPROXIMATELY 30 METRES EAST OF CHURCH OF ST. MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308621 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 14:56:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCHYARD CROSS APPROXIMATELY 30 METRES EAST OF CHURCH OF ST. MICHAEL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
West Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Chagford
National Park:
DARTMOOR
National Grid Reference:
SX 70201 87542

Details

CHAGFORD HIGH STREET (north side) SX 7087 Chagford 6/128 Churchyard Cross approximately 30 - metres east of Church of St. 22.2.67 Michael GV II

Churchyard cross and war memorial. Erected as a war memorial in 1928 using fragments of probably C15 crosses. Granite. Cross stands approximately 3.8 metres high. It is crudely carved with a tall shaft and short stumpy arms. There is a cross inscribed on the west side at the junction of the arms. The head is medieval but the shaft is C20 although it is finished in the same style. The socket stone is also medieval. Standing approximately 400mm high it is octagonal with moulded sides. It stands on a 2-step plinth; the lower one higher with a soffit-moulded tread and chamfered plinth. The sides of the steps are inscribed as a memorial to the dead of both world wars. The medieval cross head was formerly built into a wall near Holystreet Manor and before that is said to have stood in the Market Square. The socket stone was from the yard of Southmead House. Both are medieval but Masson-Phillips points out their different character and that they never were components of the same medieval cross. Source. E. N. Masson-Phillips. Ancient Crosses of Devon, Part 1. Trans. Devon.Assoc. 69 (1937) p. 324.



Listing NGR: SX7019787542

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 8 December 2016.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
94657
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Transactions of the Devonshire Association' in Transactions of the Devonshire Association, (1937), 324
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 08/12/2016 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/150764
War Memorials Register, accessed 08/12/2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/45919

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Sep 2003
Reference: IOE01/11440/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Read. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected]ricEngland.org.uk.