Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1308698

Date first listed: 13-Mar-1986



Ordnance survey map of BREWERY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308698 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2019 at 04:05:46.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Hatfield Peverel

National Grid Reference: TL 79944 11333


TL 7811-7911 HATFIELD PEVEREL THE GREEN (west side)

12/61 Brewery House


House. Late C18, altered c.1800 and late C19. Timber framed, partly plastered, partly clad with red brick in Flemish bond, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 3 bays facing W with end stacks, originally external, and central stair hall. Short extensions added at each end to enclose stacks, front and part of sides faced with brick, and rear lean-to extension added c.1800, with external stack now truncated. Single-storey extension to left with axial stack and slate roof, and slated lean-to extension at rear, late C19. 2 storeys, cellars and attics. 3-window range of sashes of 12 lights with segmental brick arches and some crown glass. 6-panel door with overlight in recessed porch with panelled jambs and flat hood, c.1800. 3 stone steps with wrought iron handrails. String course at first floor. Horizontal sash of 12 lights in rear lean-to. Original stair from ground to attics, with moulded rail and turned balusters. Original cast iron Bath grate in left ground floor room, similar but introduced grate in right ground floor room. C19 bread oven with cast iron door in left extension. Some weatherboarding of rear extension enclosed by lean-to extension to left. A deed of 1795 records a malthouse on the site, and early photographs show the building to the right with a sign 'C. Brown, Hatfield Peverel Brewery', all in the possession of the owners. Brewery believed discontinued c.1920.

Listing NGR: TL7994411333


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 115402

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing