This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE PRIORY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE PRIORY

List entry Number: 1308731

Location

THE PRIORY, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hatfield Peverel

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-May-1978

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 115396

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 71 SE HATFIELD PEVEREL CHURCH ROAD (south side)

5/55 The Priory 18.5.78

GV II*

Large house. C.1770. Possibly by John Phillips, for John Wright, historian of Essex. Gault brick in Flemish bond, roofed with slate. Square double pile plan facing N, with 2 internal stacks. 2 storeys and cellars. Central part breaks forward in 1:3:1 arrangement, 4 original sashes of 12 and 8 lights on ground floor, 5 original sashes of 3 and 6 lights on first floor, all with flat brick arches, and much crown glass. Central glazed double doors in plaster doorcase with pediment on scrolled brackets. 2 flights of 10 stone steps with scrolled tread ends and cast iron railing, incomplete. Modillioned cornice, plain parapet, hipped roof of shallow pitch. The S (garden) elevation is similar, except that a French window replaces the entrance, and there are no equivalent stairs. The ground floor rooms are symmetrically arranged, except for stair hall to right of entrance hall. The entrance hall has on the left wall a plaque in low relief by L. Delvaue, c.1725, and on the rear wall 3 roundels in low relief of William III, Alfred the Great and George II, with garlands, and 4 painted plaster escutcheons of the Wright family. All interior details are original, including doors with egg-and-dart bordered panels, eared doorcases with carved cresting, pine dados with egg-and-dart borders, folding internal shutters, carved fire surrounds, plaster cornices. The original windows are of mahogany. Accurate restoration in progress at time of survey, January 1985.

Listing NGR: TL7962910854

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 79629 10854

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308731 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 12:29:25.

End of official listing