THE OBSERVATORY 100 METRES SOUTH-EAST OF POND

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1308739

Date first listed: 13-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 22-Nov-1983

Statutory Address: THE OBSERVATORY 100 METRES SOUTH-EAST OF POND, STONYHURST

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OBSERVATORY 100 METRES SOUTH-EAST OF POND
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308739 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 07:12:43.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OBSERVATORY 100 METRES SOUTH-EAST OF POND, STONYHURST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley (District Authority)

Parish: Aighton, Bailey and Chaigley

National Grid Reference: SD 69158 38871

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 63 NE AIGHTON, BAILEY STONYHURST CHAIGLEY

8/20 The Observatory, 100 metres south- east of pond (formerly listed as the Observatories Stonyhurst College under Hurst Green) 13.2.67 GV II

Observatory, 1838 by Mr. Tuach of Preston (Gerard, John, Stonyhurst College. Belfast, 1894, p.146), with underground magnetic chamber of 1866. Sandstone ashlar with timber and glass lantern and felted roof. Octagonal with 4 projecting pedimented wings, with projecting punched quoins and central circular lantern. Each wall of one bay. Windows have architraves with false keystones, some of which are cut through to allow telescopes to project. The door, in the gable of the north wing, is reached by 5 external stone steps and has an architrave with false keystone and a bracketed cornice. The underground room extends to the south-east and terminates with a retaining wall with parapet, 2 architraves to blank openings, and concave flanking walls.



Listing NGR: SD6915638870

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 182907

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gerard, J , Stonyhurst College, (1894), 146
Gerard, J , Stonyhurst College, (1894)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 25 Lancashire,

End of official listing