ESGORS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1308858
Date first listed:
26-Apr-1984
Statutory Address:
ESGORS, HIGH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ESGORS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308858 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2019 at 06:49:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
ESGORS, HIGH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Epping Forest (District Authority)
Parish:
North Weald Bassett
National Grid Reference:
TL 46969 05369

Details

TL 40 NE NORTH WEALD BASSETT HIGH ROAD 4/32 Esgors II

House, mid-cl8, altered in C19. Red brickwork, Flemish bond, stone coping on parapet, gables and pediment, slated roof. 2 st:oreys and half-cellar and attics. Open pediment doorcase with 2 wooden Doric columns on stone plinths at head of flight of 7 stone steps, 4-panel door of which the upper panels are round-headed lights, fanlight over. On ground floor 2 double-hung sash windows, of which the upper sash is divided by glazing bars into 6 lights, the lower sash undivided, with flat arches of gauged brickwork. On first floor, 3 similar windows. String course at level of base of pediment. Inside pediment dentils and roundel bearing the date 1898, representing the latest stage of exterior alteration. The front elevation comprises a symmetrical composition. 3 large red brick chimneys. 'Esgors, formerly Isgoe, at Thornwood, is a square red brick house dating from about 1750. It formerly had a frontage on the common but is now set back about 100 yards from the main road'. (VCH, vol. IV, p.285).

Listing NGR: TL4696905369

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
118214
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Essex, (1956), 285

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/13806/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr K W Newland. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].