Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1308925
Date first listed: 03-Jul-1986
Statutory Address: TEIGN MANOR
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308925 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2019 at 01:16:35.
Statutory Address: TEIGN MANOR
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Teignbridge (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: SX 84981 74034
SX 87 SW
7/233 Teign Manor -
Farmhouse, one time a parsonage, Dame School pre 1873, made into 3 cottages as part of Templer Estate (Hearders Cottages), reconverted into house in C20. Probably C16 with circa early C17 rear wing and late C19 wing at lower end. Roughcast stone. Welsh slate roof with gabled ends. 3-room and through passage plan, inner room missing and passage blocked at rear. Early C17 kitchen wing at rear of lower end and late C19 wing at front of lower end. Large lateral hall stack at rear with heightened brick shaft and round oven at base. Gable end stack to rear wing with heightened brick shaft. Another stack in rear corner of lower end. Winder stairs at lower end of hall projecting into rear kitchen wing. 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3-window range, with C20 casements with leaded panes in enlarged openings. Through passage doorway to right of centre with C17 9-panel and studded door with chamfered stiles and moulded rails. C20 wooden porch with muntins of screen reused as posts. C19 gabled wing projecting left with blind gable end. Interior: part of plank and muntin screen on lower side of through-passage survives (5 planks and muntins) and chamfered jambs of doorway at opposite end. Hall has deeply chamfered ceiling beam with step-stops and square section joists. Large hall fireplace with chamfered granite jambs and reset chamfered granite lintel. Chamfered ceiling beam in lower end room. In rear kitchen chamfered ceiling beam with step stops and very wide kitchen fireplace with plain stone jambs and chamfered wooden lintel with step stops and containing oven. Stair doorway on rear at lower end of hall with chamfered cranked head doorframe to winder stairs with wooden newel. Later wooden treads and small square stair window. Chamfered cranked head doorframe at head of stairs, -widened later at base. Another cranked head doorframe to blocked stair turret at rear of room over hall. C17 ovolo moulded doorframe on first of main range. Roof space not accessible but roof structure visible in upper rooms. Straight principals with large purlins possibly trenched. Jointed cruck truss survives at lower end, and another in rear wing. Note: inside one of 2 small blocked windows on first floor of higher gable end, a coin dated 1521 was found.
Listing NGR: SX8498174034
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 84676
Legacy System: LBS
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing