This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

UPCOTT BARTON AND OUTBUILDINGS ADJOINING TO REAR

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: UPCOTT BARTON AND OUTBUILDINGS ADJOINING TO REAR

List entry Number: 1309009

Location

UPCOTT BARTON AND OUTBUILDINGS ADJOINING TO REAR

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Beaford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 16-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 91645

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BEAFORD SS 51 NE 8/27 Upcott Barton and outbuildings 16.1.52 adjoining to rear

GV II

Shown on 0.S. map as Higher Upcott. Farmhouse and adjoining outbuildings. Probably C16, heavily remodelled in the late C18 or early C19. Later additions probably also of the late C18 or early C19. Rendered, probably over stone rubble and cob, and with gable-ended scantle slate roof. Stone lateral stack to rear and end end stacks with early C19 red brick top stages. Stone rubble and cob additions at rear with Welsh-slate and asbestos-slate roofs, hipped over end of rear wing. Stone stacks to rear additions. Plan and development: C16 three-room and through passage plan, facing south (ground falls to left). Hall with large external stack to rear, through passage to left and former service room beyond to left with integral end stack, and former inner room to right also with integral end stack. The hall stack probably formerly heated an open hall (see high-arched fireplace). Parallel kitchen range added to rear of hall and passage, probably in the C18, with integral end stack to right. Early C19 remodelling included the insertion of a new principal entrance and staircase between hall and former inner room. Porch probably added to through- passage entrance at the same time. Service wing projecting at right angles to the rear of the left-hand end probably added in the C18 or early C19, with an integra end stack. Small service courtyard enclosed at rear by range of outbuildings to north and wall to east, probably also both late C18 or early C19. Later C19 alterations included the insertion of a second staircase to the rear of the through passage, in the parallel rear range. Two storeys. Exterior: Early C19 guttering with lion masks, and early C19 square wooden bellcote in ridge off-centre to left with louvres and tented lead cap. Almost symmetrically- fenestrated front, with 5 windows to first floor and 4 to ground floor; early C19 glazing bar sashes, 12-pane to first floor (lower leaves of 4 x 2 panes and upper leaves of 4 x 2 panes) and 16-pane to ground floor (each leaf of 4 x 2 panes). Left- hand ground floor window replaced by mid C19 six-pane (3 panes to each leaf). Two central ground-floor windows light hall. All front windows with slate cills. Segmental headed passage doorway between first and second windows from left has probably early C19 nail-studded boarded door and beaded wooden frame. Gabled porch with flagged floor. Small inserted window to left of porch. Inserted early C19 doorway between first and second windows from right has 8-panelled door (lower 2 panels reeded flush and upper 6 panels moulded) with moulded architrave, and recessed porch with wooden doorcase consisting of unfluted Doric half columns supporting frieze and cornice. Old sundial on wall above porch, with wrought-iron gnomon. First floor boxed 12-pane glazing bar sash in left-hand gable end. Small early C19 margin-light small-pane wooden fixed window to rear, lighting top of early C19 staircase. Large rear lateral stack with chamfered offsets. Parallel kitchen range to rear has first-floor 12-paned glazing bar sash (later replacement) and ground- floor 16-pane glazing bar sash. Segmental-headed early C19 nail-studded boarded door to right, and slightly projecting porch with first-floor C18 glazing bar sash. Courtyard side of rear wing has probably late C18 or early C19 three-light leaded wooden casement (with central opening metal light) and 2 ground-floor windows of the same date, later reglazed. Outbuildings at rear of courtyard have a row of pigeon holes in loft and ground-floor late C18 or early C19 three-light wooden window (later reglazed). Through carriageway to left with wooden lintels and pair of large boarded doors to rear. Wall enclosing east side of courtyard has boarded doorway. Interior: Thorough internal late C18 or/early C19 remodelling too. Much c.1800 joinery throughout including doors with 6 raised and fielded panels and moulded architraves. Large stone fireplace (possibly rebuilt) to rear of hall with high dressed stone segmental arch and 2 bread ovens. Blocked doorway to left of fireplace. Probably C19 matchboarded dado, and splayed reveals to front windows, also with matchboarding. Early C19 cupboard in right-hand wall with pair of 2- panelled doors. Wide through passage with stone-flagged floor. Reused C17 panelling along right-hand wall, cut down for use as dado panelling. Left-hand ground-floor room has c.1800 cupboards with raised-and-fielded panelled doors, moulded architrave and moulded cornice. Inserted c.1800 staircase between hall and right-hand ground- floor room, with open string, stick balusters (2 per tread), columnar foot newel and swept handrail. Right-hand end room has C17 or C18 stone fireplace with later surround, and c.1800 panelled window shutters. Mid to late C19 staircase to rear of through passage with stick balusters and turned newel. Bedrooms also with late C18 or early C19 joinery including 6-panelled doors etc. Late C19 roof over hall range with machine-sawn king-post trusses. Probably late C18 trusses over rear wing. There was formerly an old chapel attached to the house, but nothing now remains.

Listing NGR: SS5636115502

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SS 56361 15502

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309009 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2018 at 11:27:29.

End of official listing