CHURCH OF ST CHAD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1309029

Date first listed: 16-Dec-1964

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST CHAD, VILLAGE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CHAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309029 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 20:24:15.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST CHAD, VILLAGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey (District Authority)

Parish: Harpswell

National Grid Reference: SK 93587 89959

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 98 NW HARPSWELL VILLAGE STREET (East side)

4/42 Church of St. Chad 16.12.64 I

Parish church. Late Cll, C13, C14, restored C19. Coursed and uncoursed limes-tone rubble, some limestone ashlar, plain tiled roofs with stone coped gables. West tower, nave with south aisle and south porch, rectangular chancel. Cll west tower with plinth and quoins. Pointed early C13 west window with hood mould and label stops. Stone with pointed head above with inscription commemorating the erection of a clock in 1746 in memory of the Duke of Cumberland's "victory over the rebels". South side has narrow rectangular light. Bell chamber openings on 3 sides, restored in C19, each with 2 round headed openings separated by deep-set round pier with primitive volute capital. Moulded eaves above with parapet with ornate corner pinnacles. North nave wall rebuilt in C19, with 2 rectangular windows each of 3 cusped lights with ogee heads, reticulated tracery and hood mould. Large 2 stage buttress to east. Lower C19 chancel with plain north and south walls, and 3 light pointed east window with geometric tracery. East end of south aisle with plinth and large, pointed early C14 window with tracery restored in C19, of 3 lights, that in the centre with ogee head flanked by round headed lights with 5 cusped mouchettes above. C14 hood mould and head label stops. South side of south aisle of uncoursed rubble with mid C14 tall rectangular window to east with 2 lights with cusped flattened ogee heads, 4 cusped mouchettes above, rectangular hood mould and head label stops. Large 4 light rectangular window restored in C19, to the west with 4 cusped flattened ogee heads and 8 cusped mouchettes, rectangular hood mould and label stop heads. C14 south porch with small 2 light window with cusped ogee heads under rectangular head, in east side. Low single stage buttress to east with large pointed south doorway with inner, chamfered order supported on polygonal capitals with polygonal responds, and scored and moulded outer order and hood mould. West side of porch has 2 stage C14 buttress with rectangular window in west side with 2 cusped ogee headed lights, restored in C19. Porch interior flanked by stone benches with pointed C19 doorway, C20 plank door and hood mould and re-used C14 label stop heads. Above, to the east a niche with shallow triangular head. South west corner of nave has 2 stage angle buttresses. Large, pointed late C13 west window of south aisle of 3 lights with trefoiled heads and plate tracery of 3 trefoils restored in C19. C14 interior tower arch with double chamfered pointed head supported on polygonal capitals and responds. South arcade of c.1300 of 3 bays. 2 bays of c.1300 to west with double chamfered round heads, semi-circular west respond and central round pier, with plain capitals, hood moulds

Listing NGR: SK9358689964

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 196733

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing