ST CLERE'S HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1309039
Date first listed:
29-Apr-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
04-Jul-1986
Statutory Address:
ST CLERE'S HALL, ST CLERES LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST CLERE'S HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309039 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2019 at 14:33:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
ST CLERE'S HALL, ST CLERES LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Tendring (District Authority)
Parish:
St. Osyth
National Grid Reference:
TM 12681 14840

Details

ST. OSYTH ST. CLERE'S LANE TM 11 SW 10/172 St. Clere's Hall (Formerly 29.4.52 listed as St Clairs Hall in Spring Road) I GV Aisled Hall and crosswings. C14 with some C16 alterations and additions to crosswings and later alterations and additions. Exposed timber frame. Red plain tiled roofs. Both 2 storey crosswings originally jettied at first floor level, the right now underbuilt but with jetty to gable supported by end brackets. Arched bracing to left crosswing. 3 light casements to crosswing first floors, that to right with transom and pightle hooks and a similar window to ground floor. Moulded jetty bressumers. Ground floor left crosswing with central C18 small paned bow, 3 light and 4 light mullions to right and left. The hall with right 4 light and left 2 light windows. C20 door, moulded surround, carved spandrels. To the rear of the hall is a later tall weatherboarded turret. Off centre red brick chimney stack to aisled hall, 2 external stacks each to right and left crosswings, that to front left, stepped with 2 restored octagonal shafts. Red brick 2 storey porch to rear of left crosswing. Single storey lean-to to right crosswing. The C16 red brick extension to the left crosswing and has a gardrobe incorporated in the chimney stack. Internally, the 2 bay aisles remain, the great octagonal posts with moulded capitals and bases, arched braces to tie beams and side plates. Reversed eaves assembly. Stop splayed scarf joint with square vertical butts, bridles and edge pegs. Side purlin roof. Radiocarbon dated to circa 1350. Remains of the screen in the west wall and a crenellated wall plate on the east wall. Staircase incorporates C17 work. Large red brick fireplace with mantel beam over. Various original windows throughout the house. East wing, of 2 bays originally jettied at both ends, halved and bridled top plate scarf, 2 armed elongated octagonal crown post roof. The wing was later extended to south in two phases. Moated site. C.A. Hewett The Development of Carpentry 1200-1700. RCHM 7.

Listing NGR: TM1268114840

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
120006
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex North East, (1922)
Hewett, C A, The Development of Carpentry 1200-1700 An Essex Study, (1969)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/05261/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alistair F Nisbet. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].