ORTON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1309056

Date first listed: 14-Nov-1974

Statutory Address: ORTON HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of ORTON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309056 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 21:23:07.

Location

Statutory Address: ORTON HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Peterborough (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Orton Longueville

National Grid Reference: TL 16779 96518

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5141 ORTON LONGUEVILLE THE VILLAGE (west side) Orton Hall TL 1696 54/452 14.11.74 II GV 2. Mainly 1835 to designs of G H Smith of London, with kitchen wing at north east of late C16 or early C17 and west wing of 1861. The 1835 house is a large Jacobethan mansion of dressed stone with freestone dressings. A 3 storey rectangular block with embattled parapet, mullion/transom windows and large chimney stacks with grouped elaborate shafts with star caps. The west side has 3 bays of sashes in plain architraves, the right hand slightly advanced with openwork stepped gable with final and an ornate ground floor conservatory with arcade of 4 centred moulded arches with carved spandrels and pierced parapet with shields and tall finials, the windows have stained glass and the roof has iron hammerbeams. The 2 bay south side has 2 storeyed square bays with pierced parapets. The east entrance front is 3:2:3 bays, centre recessed, stone mullion (transom windows and moulded stringcourses). The west wing added 1861 is 2 storeys and attic, rock faced masonry with bands of ashlar, plain parapet and steeply pitched tiled roof with gabled end, large 2 storey bay on south side with decorative parapet and oriel in gable, on the north side an octagonal tower with open work parapet with battlements and a large porch with stepped gable. Two storey kitchen wing to north, late C16 or early C17 with C18 work. Interior: lining room in Tudor style has much reused material of C16 and Cl7 English and foreign woodwork. Heraldic glass on stairs by Willewent 1831. Some C16 and C17 reused stained glass inserted into later windows. Former house of the Gordon family, Marquesses of Huntly, Earls of Aboyne, now used as a school. RCHM (2) page 70.

Listing NGR: TL1677996518

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 50245

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments, , Peterborough New Town: a survey of antiquities..., (1969), 70

End of official listing