This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1309078

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Glentworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 16-Dec-1964

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 196726

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 98 NW GLENTWORTH CHURCH STREET (North side)

4/35 Church of 16.12.64 St. Michael

G.V. II*

Parish church. Late C11, late C12, mid C14, late C16, 1782, restored C19, C20. Coursed ironstone and limestone rubble, ironstone and limestone ashlar with slate roofs and stone coped gables. West tower, nave and chancel in one with south porch and north-west lean-to. Late C11 tower with rough quoins. Mid C14 west window of 3 pointed, cusped lights with 4 heart-shaped mouchettes above under a pointed head with hood mould. Small, narrow, round headed C11 light above. South side has small, narrow, round headed light with flat hood mould and impost blocks, high up. String course runs beneath bell openings on all 4 sides, restored somewhat in C19. Each bell opening of paired round headed openings divided by shaft with large, crude volute capital and palmette ornament down length of outer face. East side has earlier roof line visible beneath bell opening and clock above. Moulded parapet above. North side of tower has C20 lean-to with plank door. North side of nave has 3 C19 windows each with 2 cusped lights and large mouchette above under round head. Plain chancel wall, rebuilt late C16. East end with quoins, gable and large rectangular 5 light C16 mullion and transom window, the upper lights with shallow pointed heads. South side of chancel has large blocked rectangular opening to east and small late C12 doorway to west with sinuous semi- elliptical head supported by single shaft with volute capital to left and broad leafed Canterburyesque capital to right. Plain hood mould and plank door. C19 rectangular window to west, of 3 lights with shallow pointed heads. Nave has 2 round headed windows each of 2 cusped, pointed lights with C19 tracery. C19 gabled south porch with round headed east and west lights and plain round headed doorway. Porch interior with plain round headed doorway with plank door. Late C11 interior tower arch with round head and large impost blocks. Broad, pointed double chamfered early C13 chancel arch with semi-circular responds and capitals with stiff trefoil leaves patched with plaster. C19 pews, lecturn, pulpit and altar rail. C20 font. Two C19 chairs re-using C16 traceried panels. Large tomb of north wall of chancel of Sir Christopher Wray, died 1592 and wife, in pink, white and blue-grey marble. Two recumbent effigies, Sir Christopher above and a little behind his wife, he in red robes, black cap and thick ruff; she in black robes, large ruff and hood. 4 kneeling white marble daughters below. Ornate tomb recess above with flanking pink marble columns with white and gold Corinthian capitals. Undersurface of recess decorated with white and gold bay leaves. Plaque inscribed above with raised plaque above with Sir Christopher's son at prayer flanked by coats of arms and obelisks. Large white marble monument on south side of chancel, to Elizabeth Sanderson, died 1714, by Edward Hurst. 3 central cherub heads beneath ornate baldacchino, flanked by columns with Corinthian capitals with standing putti beyond.

Listing NGR: SK9458488106

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 94584 88106

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309078 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 04:06:10.

End of official listing