This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FOXWORTHY MILL HOUSE AND MILL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FOXWORTHY MILL HOUSE AND MILL

List entry Number: 1309098

Location

FOXWORTHY MILL HOUSE AND MILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Lustleigh

National Park: DARTMOOR

Grade: II

Date first listed: 23-Aug-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 03-Jul-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 84595

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LUSTLEIGH SX 78 SE

1/152 Foxworthy Mill House and Mill - (formerly listed as Foxworthy Mill 23.8.65 and Cottage) GV II

House, formerly Mill House and Corn Mill. House late C17 or early C18 with later additions; mill rebuilt early C20. Stone rubble. Corrugated iron roof, formerly thatched. Stone chimneystack on each gable. The west stack is original with thatch weatherings and projecting stone-course forming a cap. The east stack, though it too has thatch weatherings, is later because it replaces a former hip, the timbers of which are still visible in the roof-space. House has a 2-room plan with gable fireplace in the larger west room; to north of fireplace is a rounded stair turret. Abutting the house on the west is the mill building, now in the form of a cross-wing but replacing a much more modest structure. 2 storeys, with added single-storey lean-to. South front has wooden casement windows; north front is largely taken up with the stair turret and lean-to. On west side of the mill is the iron breast-shot water wheel, 12 feet in diameter. Moulded on it is the date 1892 and the name of the maker, C J Reed of Chagford. Interior: larger room has chamfered upper-floor beam with run-out stops; most of the joists have been renewed, but a few vaguely chamfered original joists remain. Large fireplace has granite jambs and plain wood lintel; oven in the back. Stair now has wooden treads, but 2 granite steps are said to survive underneath. Roof has plain trusses with collars pegged to the face of the principals by one peg and one old nail at each end. Source: picture postcard of the mill, posted in 1907 but probably late C19. In possession of the owner.

Listing NGR: SX7591381865

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SX 75913 81865

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309098 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 07:33:31.

End of official listing