CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1309123

Date first listed: 09-Mar-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, ST LEONARD'S LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309123 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 07:37:29.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, ST LEONARD'S LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey (District Authority)

Parish: South Cockerington

National Grid Reference: TF 38153 88727

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOUTH COCKERINGTON ST.LEONARD'S LANE TF 38 NE (north side) 8/71 Church of 9.3.67 St. Leonard I

Parish church. Early C14, late C15, restored 1872-3. Coursed greenstone rubble, limestone ashlar, some brick. Slate roofs with stone coped gables. West tower, nave with north porch, chancel. Early C14 and C15 west tower of 3 stages with moulded plinth, string course and 6 stage angle buttresses with 2 upper stages of brick. West doorway with deeply moulded pointed head and jambs with plank door and hood mould. Pointed C14 window above with 3 pointed cusped lights and vertical tracery. Pointed late C15 bell openings on all 4 sides with bowtell moulded surrounds, 2 cusped ogee headed lights, quatrefoil and hood mould. Moulded eaves above with large grotesque gargoyles, battlements and corner pinnacles. North side of nave with C19 gabled porch with pointed moulded head and jambs. C15 inner doorway with flattened triangular head, deeply, richly moulded head and jambs and plank door. Gravestone in porch to John Dowse, died 1765. 2 two stage buttresses to west alternate with 2 C15 windows with flattened triangular heads with 3 cusped pointed lights, vertical tracery and hood mould. South side of chancel, plain. East end with window with pointed head, 3 cusped pointed lights, vertical tracery and hood mould. South side of chancel with plain plinth. Rectangular early C14 window to east with 2 cusped ogee lights. C15 blocked doorway with bowtell moulded surround, and shallow triangular head. Rectangular window to west, partially restored in C19, with 2 cusped ogee headed lights, quatrefoils above. South side of nave with moulded plinth and 2 windows to east restored in C19 and divided by a 2 stage buttress, each with a flattened triangular head, 3 cusped pointed lights, vertical tracery and hood mould. Tall C14 interior tower arch with pointed double chamfered head and polygonal responds with re-entrant angles. C14 chancel arch with pointed double chamfered head and polygonal responds. Chancel with single small pointed piscinas in north and south walls. C15 screen restored in C19, with 5 panels, a central opening with cusped ogee head and rosettes, flanked by 2 ogee headed, cusped and traceried openings on each side. Lower blind traceried panels entirely C19. C19 pulpit with ashlar base. C15 stoup by north doorway. C15 octagonal font on tall base with bowl with cusped panels with plain shields. C19 roofs and pews. Grey and white marble monument with urn and draperies to David Becon, died 1831. Alabaster monument to Sir Adrian Scrope, died 1623, attributed to Epiphanius Evesham. Semi-reclining effigy with hand on breast, bearded, eloquent face, ruffed neck and armour. Tomb chest of pink and white streaked marble with 2 kneeling daughters and 6 sons in various poses.

Listing NGR: TF3815388727

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 195513

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing