CHURCH OF ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1309131

Date first listed: 03-Jul-1986

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PAUL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309131 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 19:39:50.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PAUL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge (District Authority)

Parish: Hennock

National Grid Reference: SX 84551 77383

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HENNOCK CHUDLEIGH KNIGHTON SX 87 NW

5/116 Church of St Paul - GV II

Parish Church, orignally a chapel of ease. Built 1841-2 by G.G. Scott and W B Moffat, decorated and fitted by Medley 1846. Flint pebble walls with limestone ashlar dressings. Slated roofs with stone-coped gables and kneelers. Nave, chancel, north and south transepts. Bell turret with bell on west gable. Nave has 3 lancet windows each side. West front has 3 stepped lancets. Doorway with 2- centred arch below it. At either side, is a large limestone cross, set into the pebbles. The transepts each have 2 lancet windows with a smaller quatrefoil light above. In the apex of the gable a limestone cross. The south transept, which also serves as an entrance porch, has a doorway with 2-centred arch. Chancel has a stepped triple lancet east window, matching that at the west end. In north and south walls a single lancet. Good simple original interior. Interesting mid C20 glass in east window. Sources: N Pevsner, South Devon, 1952, p.79. White's Devon, 1850, pp.471-2. Church accounts, 1846-50 (Devon Record Office, 2922A add./PZ6).

Listing NGR: SX8455177383

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 84563

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Devon, (1952), 79
'Whites Directory' in History Gazetteer and Directory of Devonshire, (1850), 471-472

End of official listing