This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

HARTLAND POINT LIGHTHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HARTLAND POINT LIGHTHOUSE

List entry Number: 1309148

Location

HARTLAND POINT LIGHTHOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hartland

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Jun-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 91201

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HARTLAND SS 22 NW

1/134 Hartland Point Lighthouse - - II

Lighthouse. 1872 - 1874. Engineer was Mr. Douglas (afterwards Sir James Douglas), surveyor Mr. Beasley and built by Mr. Yerward of Wales. Rendered stone which was hewn from the blue slatey rock on the site. Circular tower 57' high and 120' above sea level. Square 2 storey building attached. A substantial part of the associated building was demolished circa 10 years ago (surveyed in 1988). Previous to the erection of the lighthouse the site was totally inaccessible and a new road had to be built, started in 1871 The foundation stone of the tower was-laid in November 1872 and during construction a sealed bottle containing the names of those present, some current newspapers and a few coins were built into a cavity. The light was fixed by Messrs Chance Bros of Birmingham - a revolving dioptric light giving red and white flashes every 30 seconds visible from a distance of 17 miles. The opening ceremony took place on July 1st 1874 when Lady Stuckley of Hartland Abbey lit the lamp. Source: Hartland Lighthouse - R. Pearse Chope. Hartland Chronicle July 1905

Listing NGR: SS2297627788

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Hartland Chronicle' in July, (1905)

National Grid Reference: SS 22976 27788

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309148 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 03:58:16.

End of official listing