BARNS, COACH HOUSE, BAKEHOUSE AND MALTINGS CIRCA 5 METRES SOUTH OF NUMBER 29 (SOUTH END HOUSE)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1309186

Date first listed: 25-Nov-1985

Statutory Address: BARNS, COACH HOUSE, BAKEHOUSE AND MALTINGS CIRCA 5 METRES SOUTH OF NUMBER 29 (SOUTH END HOUSE), SOUTH END

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARNS, COACH HOUSE, BAKEHOUSE AND MALTINGS CIRCA 5 METRES SOUTH OF NUMBER 29 (SOUTH END HOUSE)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309186 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 20:00:16.

Location

Statutory Address: BARNS, COACH HOUSE, BAKEHOUSE AND MALTINGS CIRCA 5 METRES SOUTH OF NUMBER 29 (SOUTH END HOUSE), SOUTH END

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Bassingbourn cum Kneesworth

National Grid Reference: TL 33226 43645

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 3243 BASSINGBOURN-CUM-KNEESWORTH SOUTH END (East Side) 20/76 Barns, coach house, 25.11.85 bakehouse and maltings c.5 metres south of No. 29 (South End House)

GV II

Barns, coach house, bakehouse and maltings incorporating an original wool hall or similar building. Circa 1500 with early C17 alterations, additions c.1700 and 1800 (dated tie beam) and later partly altered in c.1810. Plastered and weather boarded timber frame with c.1700 red brick and painted brick walls. Plain tiled and slated roofs. Ridge stack to main range. Two storeys; main north-south range formerly a wool hall, partly altered in early C17 to a bakehouse with an external staircase on the east side; at right angles, two parallel barns originally floored, the earlier barn to the south dated 'W WALTERS 1800' on a tie beam, the barn and coach house to the north encloses a square planned malting kiln of c.1700 with an associated lean to in the north-east angle and the remains of the heating chamber and flues. North elevation: Coach house and barn weather boarded and painted white with two entrances, each with double boarded doors shaped to eliptical headed arches. Boarded doors to right hand lean to with a brick projection formerly a heating chamber with reduced stack. Staircase to main range recessed behind entrance to kitchen and enclosed on the east side by a timber framed wall. Interior; Main range of five bays with braced tie beams, mullioned first floor window and evidence of other windows, chamfered main beams to floor frames, large inserted cooking hearth in north bay with baking ovens; south-east barn of four bays with king-post roof, original floor and boarded door to first floor entrance to malting kiln; malting kiln with plastered' floor and plastered bases of dismantled cone; C19 roof. These buildings survived the arson attack of 1849 by discontented farm labourers, they were formerly part of Clear farm.

VCH Vol VIII D.22

Listing NGR: TL3322643645

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 52481

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1982), 22

End of official listing