CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309200 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 09:15:39.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Devon (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SY 17238 96463
SY 19 NE FARWAY CHURCH GREEN
3/74 Church of St Michael - 22.2.55 GV II*
Parish church. Norman origins with some C13, C14 and C15 work, a dated renovation of 1628 at the expense of Humphrey Hutchins, thorough renovation of 1876. Local stone and flint rubble with Beerstone ashlar quoins and detail; red tile roof including bands of scalloped tiles and the aisle has fleur-de-lys crested ridge tiles. Plan and development: nave and north aisle with chapel are Norman with C13 improvements, the aisle was refurbished in 1628, C14 chancel, and C15 west tower. The whole church was refurbished in 1876. Exterior: although most of the exterior detail is C19 work the variety of styles suggests that original work was copied. The gables have C19 shaped kneelers, coping and apex crosses. Unbuttressed west tower with embattled parapet and carved gargoyle water spouts and semi-octagonal stair turret projecting from the south east corner. The 2-light belfry windows with stone grilles and 3-light west window here have Perpendicular tracery and the west doorway is a 2-centred arch with moulded surround. The south side of the nave is 3 bays. Central doorway is a 2-centred arch with moulded surround and cap to the shafts. It is behind a C19 gabled porch which has a 2-centred outer arch with moulded surround. Each side are 2-light windows with Early Decorated style tracery and hoodmoulds with carved foliage label stops. South side of the chancel has a cusped lancet and small priests door. The east chancel window has reticulated Decorated tracery. The east end of the aisle has a Perpendicular window. The north side of the chapel has 2 cusped lancets and the break between this and the aisle is marked by a C19 projecting chimneystack. The 2 north windows of the aisle have segmental pointed arches and contain Decorated style tracery and the hoodmoulds have carved foliage label stops. The east window has plate tracery. Interior: the roofs are all C19. Nave and aisle have open wagon roofs with moulded ribs and purlins and carved bosses. There is a more ornate version in the north chapel and an open arch- braced truss roof. The tall tower arch has a triple-chamfered arch ring. C19 chancel arch has a moulded surround and marble shafts; a simpler version between the aisle and chapel and even plainer version from chancel to chapel. 4-bay arcade has Norman piers. The capitals have been fashioned to accommodate the C14 or C15 arches but some of the original scallop carving of their capitals remain. Floor of C19 tiles with some encaustic tiles in the sanctuary. Plastered walls. C19 carved Beerstone reredos with marble shafts is in Gothic style with crocketted pinnacles and cusped arches and panels carved with sacred emblems. The altar is a C16 oak communion table. C18 brass chandelier in the chancel. The rest of the furniture and fittings are C19; the oak communion rail on twisted brass standards and repousse brackets, the Gothic style stalls, pine benches etc. The C19 font is Beerstone with marble corner shafts. Memorials: the best monument is that in memory of Sir Edward Prideaux (d. 1628). It is Beerstone and Renaissance in style. His life size effigy lies supine in prayer dressed in barristers robes on a chest tomb under an ornamented round arch surmounted by the family arms. At the foot of the monument a knight in armour lies on his side; it is believed to Peter, Sir Edward's grandson who erected the monument. Also in the north aisle a bust is set in the wall over the inscription "This parte was neu builte in the yere of our Lord 1628 by the Benovolence of Humphrie Hutchins of this Parish". There are other C18 and C19 marble memorials mostly to members of the Prideaux family, notably the one in the chapel in memory of Sir Peter Prideaux (d. 1705). Some C19 stained glass.
Listing NGR: SY1723896463
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.