CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1309267
Date first listed:
31-May-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN, AUDENSAW ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309267 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 12:30:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN, AUDENSAW ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Tameside (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 92443 97589

Details

AUDENSHAW AUDENSHAW ROAD SJ 99 NW (south side)

4/39 Church of 31/05/66 St. Stephen

G.V. II

Church. 1845-6. By E. H. Shellard for the Church Commissioners but with a chancel added in 1900. Hammer- dressed stone with slate roof. 3-sided gallery plan with central west tower, chancel and vestry. Gothic revival. 6- bay aisles (no clerestory) with weathered plinth, continuous sill band and coped parapet above eaves band. Each bay has a weathered gableted buttress and a paired lancet window with colonnettes and hoodmoulds. Doors below gables in western- most bays. Corner pinnacles. 5-stage tower with shallow angled buttresses with nook-shafts, west door, lancet openings, clock-faces in front of a blind arcade, gargoyles and a broach spire with lucarnes. Later chancel uses similar architectural vocabulary with a 3-lancet east window. Interior: Double-chamfered nave arcade with heavy shaft- rings to quatrefoil columns which support the arcaded gallery. Arch-braced roof trusses on moulded corbels. C20 partition below rear gallery. Timber pulpit and stalls. Stone font. Stained glass.

Listing NGR: SJ9244397589

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
212692
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/03790/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Samantha Jones. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].