SHIPS FIGUREHEAD FROM ADMIRAL LORD HOWE TO NORTH OF PIPERS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1309277
Date first listed:
23-Nov-1983
Statutory Address:
SHIPS FIGUREHEAD FROM ADMIRAL LORD HOWE TO NORTH OF PIPERS, THE LEE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SHIPS FIGUREHEAD FROM ADMIRAL LORD HOWE TO NORTH OF PIPERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309277 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 09:01:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
SHIPS FIGUREHEAD FROM ADMIRAL LORD HOWE TO NORTH OF PIPERS, THE LEE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Buckinghamshire
District:
Chiltern (District Authority)
Parish:
The Lee
National Grid Reference:
SP 89999 03920

Details

SP 80 SE THE LEE THE LEE

4/90 Ship's Figurehead from 'Admiral Lord Howe ' to north of Pipers

-

- II

Ship's figurehead. 1860 from the 'Admiral Lord Howe', the last wooden-wall warship built for the Royal Navy. Renamed 'Impregnable' as a training ship. The ship was broken up in the 1920s, along with a sister ship 'Hindustan' and used to provide the timber framing for Liberty and Co.'s store in Regent Street. The figurehead was removed to The Lee and set up adjacent to Pipers by the Liberty family circa. 1924. Half length figure of Lord Howe in admiral's uniform on Scroll from prow of ship. Painted timber.

Listing NGR: SP8999903920

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
44698
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01117/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Margaret I.G. Dixon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].