Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309304.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Oct-2021 at 02:42:45.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Mid Devon (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SS 68708 05484


COLDRIDGE REST LEIGH SS 60 NE 1/44 Venn Farmhouse - - II

Farmhouse. C16 with major late C16 and C17 improvements, modernised 1835 according to datestone and extended circa 1960 by rebuilding former cider store. Plastered cob on rubble footings, partly exposed to rear; stone rubble or cob stacks topped with C19 and C20 brick; thatch roof to main block and slate to circa 1960 extension. Originally a 3-room-and-cross-passage plan house facing south-east with inner room (now kitchen) at right (north-eastern) end. Rear of passage now blocked by small lobby and the exposed cob back wall shows no sign of a rear passage door, maybe because the house is terraced into a slope. Inner room has projecting end stack with secondary oven projection, hall has axial stack backing onto passage and service end room has formerly end stack (now axial since erection that end of circa 1960 1-room extension). Projecting newel turret to rear of hall. 2-storey outshots behind hall and inner room are probably C17 but refurbished in 1835. 2 storeys. Main block has a balanced but not quite symmetrical 4-window front of similar C19 casements with glazing bars, those on the ground floor larger than those on the first. Front passage door left of centre contains a C19 plank door and similar to secondary doorway at right (inner room) end behind a C20 porch with monopitch corrugated asbestos roof. Main roof is gable-ended. Circa 1960 extension is also gable-ended and set back a little from the main front. It has a 1-window front of circa 1960 casements with glazing bars and a contemporary door. To rear the newel stair turret is gabled and retains a small C17 oak 3-light window-frame with chamfered mullions. The outshots include a sandstone date plaque inscribed "Christopher Born, 1835" and the keystone over one of the windows is a crudely- carved sandstone head in Norman style. Interior is largely result of C19 modernisation but the C16 plan survives intact and enough early features show to suggest that more lie hidden behind C19 plaster. For instance all the fireplaces are blocked by later grates. The inner room has a mid C17 crossbeam with broad soffit-chamfer and large bar-scroll stops. Cob crosswall between inner room and hall. The hall has a high 3-bay ceiling with early C17 crossbeams; they have deep soffit-chamfers with keeled lozenge stops. The door to the passage is contemporary with chamfered surround and lozenge stops. The service end room has an early C17 crossbeam finished like those in the hall. The new stair, probably late C16-early C17, has massive oak treads. The first floor includes some C17 oak doorframes, chamfered surrounds and scroll stops, although not all seem to be in situ. The roof is inaccessible although part of a C16 or C17 side-pegged jointed cruck shows over the hall, and over the inner room the base of principals show suggesting a C17 roof here. The C19 refurbishment of Venn appears to be very superficial and that the early house is well-preserved although much is hidden. Nevertheless, as it stands, the C19 plaster and joinery contribute an important element to the house development.

Listing NGR: SS6870805484


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].