This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BARN 50 YARDS NORTH OF MANOR FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BARN 50 YARDS NORTH OF MANOR FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1309335

Location

BARN 50 YARDS NORTH OF MANOR FARMHOUSE, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wentworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-Aug-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 49577

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 47 NE WENTWORTH CHURCH ROAD (East side)

8/47 Barn 50 yards north of Manor Farmhouse

GV II

Barn. C16 and C17. Timber framed, weatherboarded with roof rebuilt in 1899 and now of two pitches and covered in corrugated iron. Aisled and of approximately nine bays. Two cartway openings on the north side. Interior: Only several of the trusses were visible. That of late medieval date has paired bracing to the tiebeams and single bracing from arcade post to arcade plate. There is bracing from the wall posts to the arcade posts which are halved over the aisle ties. The early date for this part of the barn is suggested by the paired bracing in the tie beams and the continuous bracing from the wall post to the arcade post. However insufficient of the truss or the rest of the barn was visible to establish either the extent of the C16 part of the barn or whether it was a rebuild of an early barn in an archaic form. The trusses at the west end of the barn are later. They do not have evidence of the paired tie beam bracing or the arcade post bracing. Writing in 1744 when the manor was let to Dr Conyers Middleton, Woodwardian Professor of Theology at Cambridge University, William Cole commented that the farm had "one of the largest barns I ever saw, except the Bishop's barn at Ely".

VCH: Cambs Vol IV

Listing NGR: TL4815878485

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1953)

National Grid Reference: TL 48158 78485

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309335 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 04:55:33.

End of official listing