Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309345.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Jul-2021 at 00:33:15.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Cambridgeshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 46446 80056


TL 4680 WITCHAM HIGH STREET (North side) 13/51 5.2.52 The Hall (formerly listed under The Hall, with Barn GV Gates and Gatepiers)


House. Circa 1700 with c.1840 Tudor Gothic remodelling of the facade. Brick, rendered. Plain tiled steeply pitched roof with embattled parapet on the front with moulded main cornice and end parapets. End stacks which are carried on moulded corbel at first floor. Each stack has three octagonal shafts, of gault brick rendered with capping and string course and all c.1840. Original L-plan includes a service wing at the rear. Two storeys and attic. Symmetrical front elevation of three first floor three-light cross frame casements. Central doorway in four centred arch has boarded door with cover strips and is approached by three steps with nosing. Two embattled canted bays with full length central casement flank the doorway. The service wing is of similar material and also has a plain tiled roof with a ridge stack. One storey and attic. Beyond is a dairy and other outbuildings. Interior: Symmetrical plan with room at east end having main beam with C18 panelled boxing and a small plaster coving. The open well staircase is original and of five flights and two landings. Closed string with square newels, toads back rail and turned balusters of vase-on-vase type. Tie beam and main beams are substantial with broad stop chamfers. There are C19 details such as white marble hearths. The house is cellared.

Listing NGR: TL4644680056


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/09848/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Tree. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].