LAMP STANDARD IN GRASS VERGE ADJACENT TO 53, NORTH BAR WITHOUT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1309353
Date first listed:
17-Aug-1977
Statutory Address:
LAMP STANDARD IN GRASS VERGE ADJACENT TO 53, NORTH BAR WITHOUT, BEVERLEY, HU17 7AB

Map

Ordnance survey map of LAMP STANDARD IN GRASS VERGE ADJACENT TO 53, NORTH BAR WITHOUT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309353 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 23:11:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
LAMP STANDARD IN GRASS VERGE ADJACENT TO 53, NORTH BAR WITHOUT, BEVERLEY, HU17 7AB

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Beverley
National Grid Reference:
TA 02813 40063

Details

TA 0240 14/4

BEVERLEY NORTH BAR WITHOUT (south-west side) Lamp standard in grass verge adjacent to No 53

17.8.77 GV II 1824-1826. Late Georgian cast iron lamp standard made by John Malam of Sheffield. The square, stepped base has a stilted arch to each face of the lower step and on opposite faces the words "I MALAM" and "THORNCLIFFE IRON WORKS 1824". On each face of the upper step is a wreathed shield with lion mask. Then an octagonal step to the column in the form of a fasces-minus-axehead (symbolising a disused weapon of war). From a narrow collar rises a section modelled on Pompeiian bronze standard lamps, surmounted by a copper gas-type lantern of modern date.

Listing NGR: TA0281340063

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
167375
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/03749/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Terry Dawson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].