7, DRAKE ROAD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1309400
Date first listed:
07-Sep-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
20-Dec-1983
Statutory Address:
7, DRAKE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of 7, DRAKE ROAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309400 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 17:26:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
7, DRAKE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
West Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Tavistock
National Grid Reference:
SX4803874528

Details

1. 5185 DRAKE ROAD

No 7 (formerly listed as SX 4874 4/155 7.9.51 No 11 Market Street)

II

2. Former brewery incorporating probable reused roof from Tavistock Abbey. This forms the back range to Nos 10-12 Market Street and is almost concealed behind it. Probably built late in C17 by Nicholas Hunt a maltster (Mayor 1683, Senior Overseer 1704 and 1711) but incorporating an earlier roof probably from the Abbey buildings. 1 storey to Drake Road elevation; 3 storeys stone ashlar to Market Street elevation, connected by long flight of stone steps. 2 granite archways with 3-centred heads keystones, moulded spandrels and stop moulded jambs. It retains 12 fine roof trusses with curved collars of massive form, probably C16 and salvaged from one of the Abbey buildings. In early and mid C18 this was a malthouse and later was part of a brewery.

Listing NGR: SX4803874528

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
93422
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/03406/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Elizabeth Gabriel. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].