BROWNHILL BRIDGE MILL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1309426
Date first listed:
03-Jul-1986
Statutory Address:
BROWNHILL BRIDGE MILL, DOBCROSS NEW ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BROWNHILL BRIDGE MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309426 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2019 at 21:49:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
BROWNHILL BRIDGE MILL, DOBCROSS NEW ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Oldham (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Saddleworth
National Grid Reference:
SD 99479 06401

Details

SADDLEWORTH DOBCROSS NEW SD 9906 ROAD (north side) 9/96 Brownhill Bridge - Mill - II Water-powered woollen mill, now workshop and house. 1772. Later additions and alterations. Hammer-dressed watershot stone with slate and graduated stone slate roof. Total of 3 storeys and 4 bays. The early mill forms the right-hand bay and has a segmental-headed tail-race opening on the ground floor with 3-light window to right. 12-light first floor window with door inserted to left and 13-light second floor window. All windows have recessed flat-faced mullion windows with king mullions. The right gable and rear have been considerably rebuilt, the rectangular windows having stone lintels and sills. The mill was extended to left probably in late C18 and again at the rear in C20. Each bay on the ground and first floors has 2, 3 and 4-light recessed flat- faced stone mullion windows; large vented second floor openings were inserted in the C20 when it was used as a tannery. King-post roof trusses and remains of winch mechanism. The mill was first used for teazing and then scribbling. It continued to be used in the processing of wool until the mid C20 and was powered by the water-wheel until the 1920's. B. Barnes, Saddleworth Heritage, 1975.

Listing NGR: SD9947906401

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
212109
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Barnes, B, Saddleworth Heritage, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03923/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Pamela Jackson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].