CLOCK TOWER LOCK UP

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1309432
Date first listed:
24-Oct-1951
Statutory Address:
CLOCK TOWER, HIGH STREET
Statutory Address:
LOCK UP, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CLOCK TOWER
LOCK UP
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309432 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2019 at 15:20:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
CLOCK TOWER, HIGH STREET
Statutory Address:
LOCK UP, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
Huntingdonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Fenstanton
National Grid Reference:
TL 31492 68446

Details

FENSTANTON HIGH STREET 1. 5140 (south side) Clock Tower and Lock Up TL 31 68 19/35 24.10.51 II GV 2. At junction with Hilton Road. Late C17 clock tower and lock up. Square plan and two-storeys. Red brick with yellow brick rusticated quoins, ashlar plinth. Restored hipped slate roof with wooden louvred bell turret with round arches on each face surmounted by weather vane. Dentil brick eaves cornice. Two plank doors to north and south. One sealed first-floor window and one fixed light with glazing bars in segmental arch. Bell cast by Thomas Norris in 1660 or 1666 (VCH). Clock with octagonal face on east wall from Conington Hall, Cambs. (Inskip Ladds Records, Norris Museum, St Ives, RCHM Huntingdonshire p 92 Mon 3).

Listing NGR: TL3149268446

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
53877
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926), 92
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1948)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Jun 2000
Reference: IOE01/02354/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Jeffery M Hart. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].