AV ROE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1309434
Date first listed:
20-Aug-1981
Statutory Address:
AV ROE HOUSE, 262, LIVERPOOL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of AV ROE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309434 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2019 at 08:54:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
AV ROE HOUSE, 262, LIVERPOOL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Salford (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 76488 98486

Details

SJ 79 NE, 4/7

ECCLES, LIVERPOOL ROAD (north side), No. 262 (A.V. Roe House)

20/8/81

II

House, now offices. Early C19. Flemish bond brick with slate roof. 3 x 2 bays with two storeys and addition to rear. Symmetrical elevation with projecting plinth, dentilled box gutters and a hipped roof with brick chimney stacks. The central panelled door has a fanlight and an open pediment on 3/4 Doric Columns. Two ground and three first-floor 4-pane sash windows with stone lintels and sills and a stone surround to the central first floor window. Similar window openings to sides, some of which are blind and one of which retains its original 16-pane sash. Tripartite sash windows to rear addition on right return. The house was that of James Nasmyth from (1836-43) who invented the steam hammer in 1842. Also the birthplace of A. V. Roe (1877-1958) who designed, built and flew the first British aeroplane in 1908 and was a key figure in the development of aviation.

Listing NGR: SJ7648898486

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
211940
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Jun 2000
Reference: IOE01/01841/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr F. Bryan Basketter. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].