This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

TEMPLE FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TEMPLE FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1309448

Location

TEMPLE FARMHOUSE, MILL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Duxford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Dec-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 52891

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4846 DUXFORD MILL LANE (South Side) 16/61 Temple Farmhouse II Farmhouse now a house. Possibly late medieval, rebuilt late C16 and early C17 with C18, C19 and C20 alterations and additions, part refaced in brick in 1902. Timber-framed and plastered, painted brick. Plain tiled roofs half hipped to right hand with C19 gault brick stack; stack to left hand in front of ridge. Two storey main range, double pile plan with rear gabled wing; lower range of one storey and attic to south with C20 additions to east. Original building of an aisled hall survives at least in plan, rebuilt in late C16 or C17 and walls raised as kitchen to an extension of two units with large central stack to north; (the rear wing may formerly have been an entrance or stair turret). West elevation: Three bay facade with central doorway, ogee shaped corrugated iron roof to open porch, half glazed door; exposed niches of red brick to internal stack to left hand. One large bay window (1902) to left hand and two first floor and one ground floor c.1800 horizontal sliding sash windows with small panes in segmental brick arches; two similar but larger windows to lower range and one dormer window. Interior: Exposed timber-frame and floor-frames show different building periods; roofs rebuilt with some oriignal imber. Three open fireplaces sealed or relined. The farmhouse is sited where the Templars' manor house and grange buildings were also sited in the C14 within a rectangular moat. V.C.H., Vol. VI, p204

Listing NGR: TL4812746156

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1978), 204

National Grid Reference: TL 48127 46156

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309448 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 11:51:55.

End of official listing