LOWCOTE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1309479
Date first listed:
03-May-1976
Date of most recent amendment:
02-Mar-1987
Statutory Address:
LOWCOTE HOUSE, WOODWALTON LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LOWCOTE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309479 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 12:47:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
LOWCOTE HOUSE, WOODWALTON LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
Huntingdonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Sawtry
National Grid Reference:
TL 19452 81403

Details

TL 18 SE SAWTRY WOODWALTON LANE (South Side) 5/55 Lowcote House 3.5.76 (formerly listed as Bottom Lodge Farmhouse)

II House. Circa 1670, late C17 and C18. Timber-framed, exposed, and plain tiled roof with partly rebuilt ridge stack. The original L-plan has a kitchen wing at the rear which was extended later in C17. Two storeys. Three front windows, including a blocked window opening to a closet opposite the stack. Downward wall bracing to main wall posts of four bays. Two ground floor modern wood casements. The kitchen wing is also timber-framed, exposed and plain tiled. Single flue ridge stack rebuilt above the ridge. In the angle, an C18 addition of red brick, English bond with steeply pitched concrete tile roof, dentil eaves cornice and original side stack. Two storeys. Segmental arch to reproduction twenty pane, hung sash. Similar arch to three-light window, each light with a hung sash. The principal entry was changed to east end of this addition. The original entry was probably to a lobby in the north wall of mid C17 range. Interior: The parlour at the east end of the 1670 range has C18 wall painting to remaining four walls. There is a pattern of vertical tendrils with leaf and fruit in blue, red, black. The framing is of comparatively short lengths and this is particularly visible in the rear wall frame, now exposed internally. The original hearths have been replaced. The extension to the kitchen wing is visible. The frame of the original gable end adjoins that of the addition. This addition is in two bays and may have been of single storey originally. The tie beams may have been cut and raised over the doorways at first floor when the floors were inserted.

R.C.H.M. Hunts.

Listing NGR: TL1945281403

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
54687
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].