CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1309497
Date first listed:
22-Aug-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST, SAINT JOHNS STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309497 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 10:11:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST, SAINT JOHNS STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Oldham (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 95594 05099

Details

SD 90 NE LEES SAINT JOHN'S STREET (west side) 5/43 Church of St. John the 1/66 Baptist 22/8/67 - II Church. 1742, extended west by 2 bays 1772, alterations in 1842 and 1868 (the latter by H. Cockburn). Hammer-dressed stone with slate roof. 3-sided gallery plan but with a 2-bay chancel. Total of 8 bays with 2 tiers of windows. Quoins, rusticated to left, first floor band and eaves cornice. Arched doors beneath gables to bays 1 and 7. All the windows are Cl9 Gothic revival, of 3 lights with cusped heads on the ground floor and 2 lights with tracery on the first. 5- light east window with curvilinear tracery. Lean-to against west end retains one of the original semi-circular headed windows with keystone and impost capitals. The open octagonal cupola partly dates from the earlier church and bears the date of the various restorations on the clock faces. Interior: Cockburn was responsible for renewing the gallery which has an arcaded parapet, rests on fancy cast- iron columns and carries the organ loft. He also created the chancel within the existing envelope by inserting a triple chancel arch with dogtooth enrichment and quatrefoil columns, timber screens separating the side chapel. Alabaster pulpit (reduced in height). Stained glass, much by Comere and Capronnier, 1884-96. Large C20 hall attached to north.

Listing NGR: SD9559405099

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
212447
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Feb 2001
Reference: IOE01/02812/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Pamela Jackson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].