This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST PAUL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1309507

Location

CHURCH OF ST PAUL, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Oldham

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 06-Oct-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 212452

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 90 NW ROYTON CHURCH STREET 4/48 Church of St. Paul - II Church. 1884-9. By H. Cockburn. Rock-faced stone with slate roof. Nave with clerestory and aisles and north-west steeple. Chancel flanked by side chapel, organ chamber and vestry. Gothic revival. 5-bay nave and aisles with projecting plinth, sill band and corbelled eaves at clerestory level. Each bay has a weathered buttress and 2 cusped lancet window openings to the aisle, and two 2-light clerestory windows. All have hoodmoulds. Twin gables to side chapel and organ chamber. Coped gables with kneelers and finials. 5-light east and west windows have geometrical tracery. Imposing tower with arched entrances to north and west has lancet and round openings on the upper stages, two 2-light transomed belfry openings on each face, an octagonal stair turret in one corner and a broach spire with gabled lucarnes. Interior: double-chamfered nave arcade on circular polished granite columns. Scissor-braced nave roof on columnar corbels. Arch-braced chancel roof. Stone font, timber screens and fittings and stained glass (east window by Hardman). Baluster font dated 1754 and Katherine Pickford wall tablet of 1765.

Listing NGR: SD9176207646

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 91762 07646

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309507 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 01:46:05.

End of official listing