CHRIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1309572

Date first listed: 19-Aug-1986

Statutory Address: CHRIST CHURCH, BLACKBURN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHRIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309572 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 17:49:57.

Location

Statutory Address: CHRIST CHURCH, BLACKBURN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bolton (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 71068 14211

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOUTH TURTON BLACKBURN ROAD SD 71 SW (west side)

Walmsley 5/62 Christ Church - G.V. II

Church. 1839-40. By E. Sharpe. Stone with smooth ashlar dressings and slate roof. 6-bay nave with aisles and west tower, transepts, and chancel with organ loft to south and lean-to vestry to north. Sill courses and top cornices and parapets with roll-moulded coping. Aisles have shallow gabled buttresses and set back buttresses to angles. Sill course and paired lancets with hood moulds and plain stops. Clerestory has flat buttresses and stepped triple lancets. Gabled porches, that to south with moulded arch and paired 2-panel doors, that to north has diagonal buttresses. Tower has gabled setback buttresses and 2 string courses. Paired and single lancets and louvred stepped triple lancets as bell openings. Top corbelled parapet and 4 pinnacles. Transepts of 2 gabled bays with angle buttresses and 2-light windows with Geometrical tracery and head stops. Chancel has 5 stepped lancets to east, weathered angle buttresses and cornice. Vestry has segmental-pointed entrance head. Interior: Nave arcades have monolithic quatrefoil piers. Fishbone trusses to roof. West gallery on 2 cast iron columns has trefoil arcading and stair with braced balusters; porch beneath. 2 windows, Morris and Co. by Burne-Jones, dated 1872 and 1895; grisaille quarries and figures above square scenes. 2-bay arcades to transepts, that to south a chapel. C20 altar and reredos incorporates C15 Spanish altar piece; 3 panels with gilded dropped tracery heads and pinnacles; scenes are: Christ before Pilate, Deposition with Symbols of Passion and Pieta. Font removed from Bolton Parish Church in 1952; octagonal, ogee- arched panels to base and tracery and shields to bowl; base of bowl has black-letter inscription recording dedication, 1845. Chancel arch on corbelled shafts. Reredos has arched mosaic panels, altar moved forward. Stained glass dated 1858, early Gothic Revival with much blue glass, scenes from Life of Christ.

Listing NGR: SD7106814211

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 210542

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing