HOPE COTTAGES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1309603
Date first listed:
07-Jul-1976
Date of most recent amendment:
17-Dec-1986
Statutory Address:
1-5, MAY STREET
Statutory Address:
HOPE COTTAGES, 2-8, HALL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOPE COTTAGES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309603 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-May-2019 at 20:01:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
1-5, MAY STREET
Statutory Address:
HOPE COTTAGES, 2-8, HALL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Great and Little Chishill
National Grid Reference:
TL 42250 38805

Details

TL 4238 GT & LT CHISHILL HALL LANE (South side) 24/19 Hope Cottages Nos 2-8 7.7.76 (even) and Nos 1-5 (odd) May Street (formerly listed as Hope Cottages) GV II Nine cottages forming a planned unit of two ranges linked by cottage No.1 segmental in plan to the corner with glazed panel above door inscribed "Hope Cottages Erected 1843". Timber-framed and plastered or with roughcast renders. Hipped slated roof, five rectangular planned off the ridge stacks. Two storeys, two unit plans with two heated rooms and rear staircase to first floor. Boarded entrance doors with exception of Nos. 3 and 5 with C20 replacements; small bracketed hoods above. Ten ground floor and ten first floor casement windows. The cottages with woodsheds and privies enclose a communal courtyard, the plot to the east was originally divided into nine strips or allotments separated by narrow baulks. They were restored in 1979. RCHM Report 1956

Listing NGR: TL4225038805

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
52848
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].