CHURCHYARD SOUTH GATE AND ADJOINING CHURCHYARD WALLS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1309638
Date first listed:
24-Oct-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCHYARD SOUTH GATE AND ADJOINING CHURCHYARD WALLS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCHYARD SOUTH GATE AND ADJOINING CHURCHYARD WALLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309638 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 04:16:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCHYARD SOUTH GATE AND ADJOINING CHURCHYARD WALLS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
East Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Payhembury
National Grid Reference:
ST 08875 01774

Details

PAYHEMBURY ST 00 SE 3/104 Churchyard south gate and - adjoining churchyard walls GV II

Churchyard gate and walls. Dated 1831, parts of the walls may be earlier. The Church of St Mary (q.v) and its churchyard are built up on rising ground above the village green. The gateway stands at the head of a wide flight of 5 granite steps flanked by stone rubble retaining walls. They have weathered granite ashlar coping which includes a series of ramps as it descends from the gate to heavy granite terminal piers, slightly tapering cylinders with semi-circular caps. The gate posts are granite and volcanic ashlar; they are square in section with chanelled rustication and have projecting caps and large ball finials. Each contains a plaque on the front; both are dated 1831 with the initials of the church wardens of that year, HR to left and HD to right. The gates are probably contemporary; the top rail dropping towards the centre and the rails with large spear heads. The wrought iron overthrow which holds a lamp is dated 1911. Either side are the churchyard walls. They are tall from the outside since theyrevet the terrace. They are built of local stone rubble with volcanic ashlar rounded coping and are propped by a regular series of pilaster buttresses and one large buttress with weathered offsets.

Listing NGR: ST0887601774

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
86861
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/12252/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert Vickery. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].