THE OLD RECTORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1309684

Date first listed: 19-Sep-1969

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY, MELLALIEU STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD RECTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309684 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 18:18:35.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY, MELLALIEU STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Rochdale (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 86970 06345

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MIDDLETON MELLALIEU STREET SD 80 NE (south side) 2/16 The Old Rectory 19/9/69 - II House. Early C16 open-hall house which was floored over in C16, faced and partly rebuilt in brick in mid C19 and considerably altered in c.1965. Much of the original timber- framed structure is still encased in brick. Graduated stone slate roof. 5-bay 2-storey elevation. Projecting plinth. Panelled door in bay 4 with moulded surround, overlight and Gothic revival gabled porch. Two 3-light mullion and transom windows to left and 4 sash windows on first floor. Single-storey wing to left. Bay 5 virtually rebuilt in 1965. The principal features of interest are inside where a considerable portion of the close-studded timber framing survives on a brick plinth believed to be of c.1520. The cross-frame at the north of the original hall rises through 2 storeys and less complete framing exists on the south and west sides. One of the studs bears a carved colonnette. The inserted floor which is notched onto the rails at first floor level consists of heavily moulded beams, cross-beams and joists. The entrance hall and drawing room are completely panelled. C16 linen-fold panelling with briar frieze. C17 carved cupboards, fireplace and overmantel (part of fireplace 1894) are all elaborately carved. Measured drawings by W.J. Smith in N.M.R.

Listing NGR: SD8697006345

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 213455

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing