Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309719.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2021 at 09:31:38.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
St. Day
National Grid Reference:
SW 71717 41761


ST DAY BUSVEAL SW 74 SW 6/335 Gwennap Pit GV II* Methodist open air meeting place. 1762, remodelled in 1806. Conical pit made in fallen-in mine shaft which was used by John Wesley for preaching in 1762, and remodelled and reduced in size in 1806, to 360 feet circumference and 16 feet depth, with 13 circles of tufted seating faced with random rubble. On the west side a flight of segmental steps is built into the terraces, and to the north round the 4th step down is a pair of stone posts with a rectangular boulder between them (probably the "pulpit"). Used for Whit Monday services annually from 1807 to 1966. Reference: Thomas Shaw A History of Cornish Methodism (1967).

Listing NGR: SW7171741761


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Shaw, T, A History of Cornish Methodism, (1967)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Oct 2003
Reference: IOE01/11637/36
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael McCloy. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].