PUMP ENGINE HOUSE ON SITE OF WHEAL UNY MINE AT SW 695 408

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1309729

Date first listed: 12-Sep-1989

Statutory Address: PUMP ENGINE HOUSE ON SITE OF WHEAL UNY MINE AT SW 695 408

Map

Ordnance survey map of PUMP ENGINE HOUSE ON SITE OF WHEAL UNY MINE AT SW 695 408
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309729 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 15:59:34.

Location

Statutory Address: PUMP ENGINE HOUSE ON SITE OF WHEAL UNY MINE AT SW 695 408

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Redruth

National Grid Reference: SW 69502 40780

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

REDRUTH WHEAL UNY SW 64 SE 5/324 Pump engine house on site of Wheal Uny Mine at SW 695 408 GV II Pump engine house to former tin mine, now derelict. Probably later C19. Dressed granite blocks and killas rubble, with bob wall of massive rectangular blocks, window arches of brick, brick upper stage to chimney; now roofless. Rectangular plan on east-west axis, with bob wall to west, chimney attached at south-east corner. Large building of 3 stages set back over a plinth (exposed on north side by falling ground), with round-headed openings including an unusual tall 2-stage slot in the bob wall (extending from ground level), with the driver's window in the upper part; and large cylinder door in rear wall. Tapered cylindrical chimney with no cornice to the stone stage, top of brick stage missing. History: mine worked from before 1800, employed over 400 in 1860's, produced tin from Great Flat Lode and had had reached 244 fathoms by the time it closed in 1893 (reference D.B.Barton A Guide to the Mines of West Cornwall, 3rd edn., 1973, p.34) Forms part of very conspicuous and attractively sited group, within sight of remains of Basset Mines at Carnkie, Carn Brea (q.v.).

Listing NGR: SW6950040800

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 66889

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Barton, D B , A Guide to the Mines of West Cornwall, (1973), 34

End of official listing