CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1309763

Date first listed: 04-Oct-1960

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309763 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jan-2019 at 02:08:28.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge (District Authority)

Parish: Peters Marland

National Grid Reference: SS 47825 13491

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PETERSMARLAND PETERSMARLAND SS 41 SE 4/29 Church of St Peter - 4.10.60 GV II Parisn church. Some C15 fabric survives in tower but mainly rebuilt in 1868. Stone rubble walls with granite quoins, to tower. Gable-ended slate roof. Plan: nave, north and south aisles and south porch were built in 1865 - the west tower dates to the C15 but appears also to have been partially rebuilt. Exterior: 3 stage battlemented tower with obelisk finials. 2 probably C19 buttresses extend up to the 2nd stage of the west wall. 2-light trefoiled belfry openings. C19 3-light west window with intersecting tracery. C15 granite west doorway with roll and hollow moulding. The north aisle has 2 Decorated style 3 and 4-lignt windows and a single trefoiled light at the west end. Lean-to vestry in angle between aisle and chancel. 3-light East window of Decorated style and a similar 2-light window on the south side of the chancel. The south aisle has an intersecting tracery window at its east end. Otherwise they are of the Decorated style. South porch has steeply pitched roof and 4-centered stone arch doorway. Interior: re-used granite south doorway with Tudor arch, roll and hollow moulding and ball stops. 3 bay arcades of slender columns with small capitals and deep hoodmould over each arch. Modern square font of free-stone. Tiled floors. Pulpit and choir stalls of simple carved woodwork. Source: Beatrix Cresswell - Churches in the Deanery of Torrington

Listing NGR: SS4782513491

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 91003

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cresswell, B F, Notes on Devon Churches in the Deanery of Torrington, (1925)

End of official listing