FARM BUILDINGS FORMING THE FARMYARD TO THE NORTH OF PINSLOW FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1309809
Date first listed:
09-Jan-1986
Statutory Address:
FARM BUILDINGS FORMING THE FARMYARD TO THE NORTH OF PINSLOW FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FARM BUILDINGS FORMING THE FARMYARD TO THE NORTH OF PINSLOW FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309809 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 08:03:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
FARM BUILDINGS FORMING THE FARMYARD TO THE NORTH OF PINSLOW FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Torridge (District Authority)
Parish:
St. Giles on the Heath
National Grid Reference:
SX 34872 90118

Details

SX 39 SW ST GILES ON THE HEATH

4/37 Farm Buildings forming the - farmyard to the north of Pinslow Farmhouse GV II

Planned farmyard. 1863 (datestone) for the Bedford Estate. Stone rubble with brick dressings and gabled slate roofs. The farmyard is on 3 levels, exploiting the gradient of the site. To the west a hay barn with large double timber doors is at right angles to the west range which is a 2-storey building with a threshing loft, formerly powered by a water turbine. A 2- span fattening shed adjoins the threshing loft at right angles and projects into the central yard forming the north side of the farmyard. Dung was carried across the yard to the 2-storey east range and dropped down into the ground floor of the dunghouse from timber platforms projecting over the pits. The south end of the east range was formerly a carpenters' and blacksmiths' shop. The south range consists of open-front cartsheds. The farmyard is very little altered since 1863 and has all the characteristic features of the Bedford Estate farm buildings of the high farming period, including timber-lined roofs and ingeniously-designed adjustable ventilation slats.

Listing NGR: SX3487290118

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
90691
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/10528/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Barbara Hilton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].