PUMP ENGINE HOUSE TO WHEAL PEEVOR MINE AT SW 708 442

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1309826
Date first listed:
12-Sep-1989
Statutory Address:
PUMP ENGINE HOUSE TO WHEAL PEEVOR MINE AT SW 708 442

Map

Ordnance survey map of PUMP ENGINE HOUSE TO WHEAL PEEVOR MINE AT SW 708 442
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309826 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 06:40:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
PUMP ENGINE HOUSE TO WHEAL PEEVOR MINE AT SW 708 442

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Redruth
National Grid Reference:
SW 70802 44211

Details

REDRUTH RADNOR SW 74 SW 6/291 Pump engine house to Wheal Peevor mine at SW 708 442 GV II Pump engine house to former tin mine, now derelict. Probably 1870's. Uncoursed granite and killas rubble with bob wall and corners of large granite blocks, window arches of brick, brich upper stage to chimney; now roofless. Rectangular plan on north-south axis, with bob wall to south, chimney attached at north-west corner. Three stages, with round-headed openings, including driver's window in bob wall, large cylinder door in rear wall. Tapered cylindrical chimney with no cornices, slightly damaged at the top. History: probably erected for reworking of mine between 1872 and 1889, when work ceased; abandoned 1918. Reference: D.B.Barton A Guide to the Mines of West Cornwall (3rd edn. 1973, p.33). Largest of a very striking group on this site.

Listing NGR: SW7080044200

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
66851
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Barton, D B , A Guide to the Mines of West Cornwall, (1973), 33

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/14227/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ivor Corkell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].