STONE CROSS ABOVE CROSSROADS APPROXIMATELY 30 METRES NORTH EAST OF CHURCH OF ST CYRIAC AND ST JULITTA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1309893
Date first listed:
30-Nov-1984
Statutory Address:
STONE CROSS ABOVE CROSSROADS APPROXIMATELY 30 METRES NORTH EAST OF CHURCH OF ST CYRIAC AND ST JULITTA

Map

Ordnance survey map of STONE CROSS ABOVE CROSSROADS APPROXIMATELY 30 METRES NORTH EAST OF CHURCH OF ST CYRIAC AND ST JULITTA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309893 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 04:27:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
STONE CROSS ABOVE CROSSROADS APPROXIMATELY 30 METRES NORTH EAST OF CHURCH OF ST CYRIAC AND ST JULITTA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Mid Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Newton St. Cyres
National Grid Reference:
SX 87955 98018

Details

NEWTON ST CYRES THE VILLAGE SX 89 NE 6/31 Stone Cross above crossroads - approx 30 metres north-east of Church of St Cyriac and St Julitta GV II Stone cross. Medieval base and shaft; collar and head erected 1897. Granite. Base is buried. Shaft square at base, octagonal above standing approximately 3 metres high. The collar and plain Maltese-style cross were restored by John and Mary Quicke to commemorate the sixtieth year of Queen Victoria's reign according to inscription at base. Type B Cross (Masson-Phillips, Ancient Crosses of Devon II, TDA, 1938, p320).

Listing NGR: SX8795598018

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
96383
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Transactions of the Devonshire Association' in Transactions of the Devonshire Association, (1938), 320

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04477/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ken Saunders. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].