HILDERSHAM MILL, MILLERS HOUSE AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1309925
Date first listed:
24-Nov-1977
Statutory Address:
HILDERSHAM MILL, MILLERS HOUSE AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS, CAMBRIDGE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of HILDERSHAM MILL, MILLERS HOUSE AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309925 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 13:37:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
HILDERSHAM MILL, MILLERS HOUSE AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS, CAMBRIDGE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Hildersham
National Grid Reference:
TL 54743 48315

Details

TL 5448 HILDERSHAM CAMBRIDGE ROAD (North Side)

12/58 Hildersham Mill, 24.11.77 Miller's House and attached outbuildings) (formerly listed under parish of II Linton)

Watermill, miller's house and attached buildings. Mid and late C19 with alterations c.1930. Chimney stack inscribed TB (Thomas Bolton), 1868 recently reduced. Gault brick, clay bat, and weather boarded timber-frame. Plain tiled, pantiled, and slated roofs. North facing elevation with a connected range of buildings from east to west: barn and workshops at right angles of brick and clay bat, partly weather boarded with various openings: house of two storeys, gault brick with plain tiled roofs c.1825, altered 1857 and 1908-30, with three unit plan, wide stack to left of centre and end stack to right hand, glazed garden doors to right of two storey canted bay windows with four-paned hung sash windows, two ground floor windows and three first floor sixteen-paned hung sash windows: mill of two storeys with attic, and wheel house to west, weather boarded and brick with two boarded doors in segmented brick arches and one half-glazed-panelled door at half storey height: brick granary and engine house of three storeys c.1858 and 1868 with C20 replacement windows and gantry from ridge for sack hoist; later cart sheds and bakery or brewhouse to south. At right angles to west of house and facing mill stream a converted stables with tarred clay bat rind brick walls linked by closed porch with C19 double doors said to have come from the Shire Hall. Mill machinery complete with the exception of the grinding stones; iron undershot scoop wheel. The mill ceased to be used in 1904;

Hildersham mill deeds and photographs in private collection.

Listing NGR: TL5474348315

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
51871
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/08448/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John H. Turkentine. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].