CONSERVATIVE CLUB AND THOMAS WHITTY HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1309926
Date first listed:
11-Aug-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
26-Aug-1983
Statutory Address:
CONSERVATIVE CLUB AND THOMAS WHITTY HOUSE, SILVER STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CONSERVATIVE CLUB AND THOMAS WHITTY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309926 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 07:49:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
CONSERVATIVE CLUB AND THOMAS WHITTY HOUSE, SILVER STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
East Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Axminster
National Grid Reference:
SY 29691 98468

Details

1/54 In the entry for AXMINSTER SILVER STREET north east side

Conservative Club and Autec House

the address shall be amended to read SILVER STREET north east side

Conservative Club and Thomas Whitty House

------------------------------------

AXMINSTER SILVER STREET SY 29 98 (north east side) 1/54 11.8.50 Conservative Club and GV Autec House (formerly listed as Law Chambers and Conservative Club)

II

C18 factory building. Once the Axminster Carpet Factory established in 1755 and closed in 1835. Large dressed stone building. Tarred slate roof with stone coping to gable ends. Situated on corner site with curved angle. Three storeys. Ten window range. Segmental arched openings mostly with three-light multi-pane windows with small central opening lights. All of second floor windows replaced with modern ones. The first floor six right hand windows are large sashes complete with glazing bars and in segmental arch openings. Three doorways with large entablatures and Tuscan pilasters, the centre and right hand retain original flush panel doors. Right hand segmental arched carriageway.

Listing NGR: SY2969198468

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
87645
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04571/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Donald Anderson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].