MILEPOST TO NORTH OF CANAL AND RIVER TRUST OFFICES, RED BULL WHARF AT SJ 82754 55084

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1309961
Date first listed:
26-Mar-1987
Statutory Address:
MILEPOST TO NORTH OF CANAL AND RIVER TRUST OFFICES, RED BULL WHARF AT SJ 82754 55084, TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL

Map

Ordnance survey map of MILEPOST TO NORTH OF CANAL AND RIVER TRUST OFFICES, RED BULL WHARF AT SJ 82754 55084
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309961 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2019 at 00:49:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
MILEPOST TO NORTH OF CANAL AND RIVER TRUST OFFICES, RED BULL WHARF AT SJ 82754 55084, TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Church Lawton
National Grid Reference:
SJ 82673 55102

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 17/01/2013

SJ 85 NW 8267 5513 7/29

CHURCH LAWTON C.P. TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL Milepost to north of Canal and River Trust offices, Red Bull Wharf at SJ 82754 55084

(Formerly listed as Canal Milepost)

II

Canal milepost. Dated "R & D Stone 1819" on shaft. Cast iron painted black and white. Circular post with moulded head and embossed letters on 2 convex tablets below: "Shardlow 63 miles" "Preston Brook 29 miles". Probably cast in the foundry of Rangeley and Dixon in Lichfield Street, Stone. The Trent and Mersey Canal was built between 1766 and 1777 by James Brindley and Hugh Henshall.

Listing NGR: SJ8267355102

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
56500
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hadfield, C, The Canals of the West Midlands, (1966)
Lindsay, J, The Trent and Mersey Canal, (1979)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02030/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr J M Pickering. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].