CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1309966
Date first listed:
26-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309966.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 22:16:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Bugthorpe
National Grid Reference:
SE 77248 57878

Details

BUGTHORPE MAIN STREET SE 75 NE (north side) 2/20 Church of Saint Andrew 26.1.67 - I

Church. C12 chancel arch, chancel c1300, C15 west tower, C19 nave. Ashlar, lead roofs. 2-stage west tower, 3-bay nave, 4-bay chancel with north chapel and north-east turret. West tower: moulded plinth, moulded string to belfry stage; pointed 2-light belfry openings under four-centred arch with continuous hollow chamfer. Gargoyles beneath crenellated parapet with crocketed corner pinnacles. Pointed west window of 2 lights with Perpendicular tracery under a hoodmould. In angle between north wall of tower and west wall of nave is a square stair turret with slit windows, beneath a corbelled roof. Nave: chamfered plinth. Two 2-light pointed windows with C19 tracery in Decorated style. Pointed south door with continuous double chamfer under hoodmould with monarch stops. Similar fenestration to north wall. Low moulded parapet. Chancel: moulded plinth, buttresses with offsets. 4 pointed windows each with 2 trefoil-headed lancets beneath a quatrefoil. Pointed priests' door with double chamfer. Grotesque gargoyles, low moulded parapet. East window of 3 stepped trefoil- headed lancets under a single pointed and chamfered arch. Projecting north- east octagonal turret with slit windows, pilaster buttresses with gablet topped by fleur-de-lys finial, and pyramidal roof with ball finial. North chancel chapel: trefoil-headed lancet to east wall, 2 similar lancets to north wall. Fragment of a flory cross grave slab incorporated into the plinth of this chapel. Interior: pointed double-chamfered tower arch on chamfered imposts and square responds. This church has 2 chancel arches separated by the west bay of the chancel. The westernmost is C12 with rebuilt pointed double-chamfered arch on imposts with trails and capitals with more trails and carved figures: including a Christ in Majesty, St Peter with keys, a mermaid, and the judgement of Solomon. Nook shafts with heavily stylised beakhead. The eastern arch is of c1300: pointed double- chamfered arch on moulded capitals and demi-octagonal responds on chamfered bases. There is a very similar arch to the north chapel. Three trefoil- headed sedilia and similar piscina to south wall. Door with shouldered lintel to north-east turret. Monuments: 1) William Watkinson died 1614. Brass plaque depicting the deceased with his 2 wives and daughter above a lengthy inscription, all in a heavily restored pedimented surround. 2) North wall: Sir Edward Payler of Thoralby Hall, died 1647. Inscribed tablet flanked by paired black columns with white Corinthian capitals supporting an intricately detailed broken pediment beneath an achievement of arms. 3) North chapel: Mary Payler, died 1786. Inscribed tablet on an elaborate plinth beneath a portrait medallion and urn against a large obelisk. Above, a mourning cherub bearing a shield. 4) On the floor, beneath, a ridged grave-cover with a wheel-headed cross to each side.

Listing NGR: SE7724757879

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
167709
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/09272/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les Waby. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].