CHEST TOMB OF JANE WHITAKER ABOUT 50 METRES SOUTH WEST OF WEST TOWER OF CHURCH OF SAINT ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1309983
Date first listed:
16-May-1988
Statutory Address:
CHEST TOMB OF JANE WHITAKER ABOUT 50 METRES SOUTH WEST OF WEST TOWER OF CHURCH OF SAINT ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHEST TOMB OF JANE WHITAKER ABOUT 50 METRES SOUTH WEST OF WEST TOWER OF CHURCH OF SAINT ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309983 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 11:21:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHEST TOMB OF JANE WHITAKER ABOUT 50 METRES SOUTH WEST OF WEST TOWER OF CHURCH OF SAINT ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Kirk Ella
National Grid Reference:
TA 01985 29679

Details

KIRK ELLA CHURCH LANE TA 02 NW (north side) 9/39 Chest tomb of Jane Whitaker about 50 metres south-west of west tower of Church of Saint Andrew II

Chest tomb of Jane Whitaker. 1815. Fine-grained sandstone. Broad plinth, formerly with railings. Chest with projecting panels to each side; above that a small sarcophagus, with scalloped lid, sunk panels to sides, and fluted corners, on claw feet. Inscription on east end of chest: "In this vault are deposited the remains of Jane, daughter of Charles and Rachel Whitaker of Kingston upon Hull, who died December the 17th, 1815, aged 9 months." A later inscription on the south side records the death of Rachel Whitaker, at seven months, in 1824.

Listing NGR: TA0198529679

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
164680
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00873/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gareth Parry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].