THE OLD GUILD HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1309994
Date first listed:
30-Sep-1985
Statutory Address:
THE OLD GUILD HOUSE, 88 AND 90, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD GUILD HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309994 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Aug-2019 at 08:36:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE OLD GUILD HOUSE, 88 AND 90, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Great Abington
National Grid Reference:
TL 53167 48680

Details

TL 5248 GREAT ABINGTON HIGH STREET (West Side)

11/16 Nos. 88 and 90 (The Old Guild House)

GV II

Cottage. C15 with C16 and C17 alterations. Timber-framed and plastered with two bays to west exposed. Thatched roof. Red brick ridge stack and stack to west gable end. Painted plinth. One storey and attic. C20 boarded door, eight ground floor casement windows of various sizes with glazing bars and three plain tiled gabled dormer windows. Interior: Some timber-frame survives of the original C15 building, rebuilt mid C16 with inserted floors; floor to central room with roll-moulded joists and axial beam. Segmental arched brick fire place mid to late C17. The cottage is sited on the north side of the former road from Linton to Bourn Bridge, a stone cross marked the cross roads in the early C19. Wm Palmer suggests the cottage was once the guildhall.

Map. Gt. Abington 1687, C.R.O. Palmer, W.M. 'The Neighbourhood of Hildersham', 1924

Listing NGR: TL5316748680

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
51860
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Palmer, W M, The Neighbourhood of Hildersham, (1924)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].