SOUTHWOOD HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1310021
Date first listed:
03-Dec-1951
Statutory Address:
SOUTHWOOD HALL, SOUTHWOOD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of SOUTHWOOD HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1310021 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 20:09:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
SOUTHWOOD HALL, SOUTHWOOD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Cottingham
National Grid Reference:
TA 03836 32224

Details

COTTINGHAM SOUTHWOOD ROAD TA 03 SW (south side) 7/28 Southwood Hall 3.12.51 - II*

House. Before 1661, for the Bacchus family. Red brick, some rubbed and moulded, pantiled roof. 2 storeys and attics, 5 bays in symmetrical elevation. Central 2-storeyed gabled porch. Plinth. Ground floor: C20 glazed door in round-headed opening flanked by low pilasters with moulded caps. The side walls of the porch have lozenge-shaped piercings and pilasters rising through 2 storeys. To the body of the house is a massive boarded door which retains all its original ironwork including an ingenious and effective iron door-knocker. To left and to right are 3-pane sashes under flat gauged brick arches. Very broad and deeply moulded first-floor band, missing over the windows to right. First floor: 4-pane sashes throughout all under flat gauged brick arches; in addition that to the porch first-floor chamber has a deeply moulded floating cornice and pediment. Roll-moulded band beneath dentilled eaves cornice (probably representing raising of the eaves level in the early C18). Attics: small 6-pane window to the porch gable flanked by gableted dormers of different sizes with sliding sashes with glazing bars to the main roof. End stacks, raised gables on brick kneelers. At various places on the main elevation - particularly to the far right - are straight joints indicating previous phases of fenestration. Interior: the interior of this house survives completely unaltered save for the replacement of fireplaces to the principal rooms in about 1720. Closed-string stair with heavy turned balusters, moulded handrail, and square newels with pendants and ball-finials rising through to the attics with a short additional flight into the apex of the roof which is boarded out for storage purposes. Bolection-moulded fireplaces to all principal rooms: bolection-moulded panelling to the left- hand ground-floor and first-floor rooms. The doors to the 2 bedrooms are each of 3 bolection-moulded panels in eared architraves with friezes and broken dentilled pediments. The door to the first-floor room in the porch is boarded in a pilastered surround under a frieze and broken pediment with short central pilaster and finial. The attics retain the original boarded doors; virtually all the door furniture is of the mid-C17 or early C18. Most of the floorboards are original. The right attic room retains a very small round-headed C17 fireplace with continuous chamfer with fade-out stops. This house, to which no alterations have taken place since the early C18, is probably the best-preserved example of its type and period in North Humberside. In the attic are 3 loose C18 oak panels: one painted with a mythological scene, the other 2 with figures in stylised landscapes. These presumably formed part of the furnishings to the principal rooms but have subsequently been hung as pictures.



Listing NGR: TA0229030621

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
164669
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/00867/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gareth Parry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].