MANOR FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1310156
Date first listed:
31-Aug-1962
Statutory Address:
MANOR FARMHOUSE, 51

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1310156.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2021 at 23:00:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
MANOR FARMHOUSE, 51

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Comberton
National Grid Reference:
TL 38012 56562

Details

TL 3856 COMBERTON GREEN END (West Side) 9/33 No. 51 (Manor 31. 8.62 Farmhouse) II



House. Probably of two building periods, mid C17 and 1687. Mainly red brick, painted, but timber framed, plaster rendered to first floor of front range. Tiled roofs with rebuilt red brick stack at junction of front and rear ranges and end stacks, similarly rebuilt to ends. Parapetted liable ends on kneelers. Two ranges forming an L-plan. Front range is probably of mid C17 origin. Possibly timber-framed, plaster rendered with the ground floor and end walls replaced by red brick in 1687 when the house was extended at the rear. Two storeys and attic. Two original gable dormers with C17 triangular pattern pargetted panel above three-light sliding sashes; Two hung sashes to each storey. Doorway in C19 porch slightly off-centre. Rear range dated 1687 and initials T M H (Thomas and Mary Holder) in panel to side wall. Two storeys and attic. North side has two hipped dormers. Segmented arches to original window openings, now with four pane hung sashes. Between two storeys, a contemporary band is carried over the window and door openings. Similar segmental arches and three windows, all C19 except for one with original architrave. Stair turret of brick to north end of front range has one small window opening to each storey, the mullions and surrounds being late C17 and original. At the service end there is a late arched opening for a cartway access to the dairy and another opening on the north side which passes through ground and first storeys. Both openings are now blocked. Inside: Abutting inglenook hearths. One has had the jamb extended and underbuilt possibly when the front range had ground floor and end walls rebuilt in brick, probably in 1687. Original newel staircase leading from the hall. Some framing exposed internally at first floor. R.C.H.M. West Cambs., mon.(30)

Listing NGR: TL3801256562

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
51650
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire West, (1968)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].