CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1310183
Date first listed:
20-Sep-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1310183.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 15:06:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Sledmere
National Grid Reference:
SE 93003 64553

Details

SLEDMERE MAIN STREET SE 9263-9264 (south-east side, off)

17/40 Church of St Mary

20.9.66

GV II *

Church. 1898 with medieval origins to base of tower and with reused Norman corbels built into roof of organ chamber. By Temple Moore for Sir Tatton Sykes, 5th Baronet, and with carvings by John Thompson & Co. Sandstone ashlar with lead roof. 3-stage west tower, 5-bay aisled nave with south porch, 3-bay chancel with north vestry. Gothic Revival in the style of the C14 with reticulated-type tracery throughout. Tower: stepped and chamfered plinth. South-west stair turret. To west end are angle buttresses with offsets almost to full height. West side has pointed 3-light window under hoodmould. First- and second-stage bands. To third stage are pointed, 2-light belfry openings. Corbel table with central gargoyles. Battlements pierced with crosses. Nave: stepped and chamfered plinth. Gableted angle buttresses and buttresses between bays. South side. Porch to second bay has angle buttresses with offsets. Pointed-arched opening under hoodmould. Above are 3 crocketed ogee arches with statues of the Blessed Virgin Mary between 2 saints, one holding a key and the other a casket. Corbel table. Low decorative parapet. Within a pointed decoratively panelled door in surround of 3 orders of nook-shafts supporting roll-moulding, under hoodmould ornamented with fleurons. Elaborate tierceron-vault to roof. Otherwise south and north aisles have 3-light pointed windows under hoodmoulds. To east ends are octagonal stair turrets to corners, with blind arcaded tops. Chancel: chamfered plinth. Buttresses with gargoyles between bays, and at angles. 4-light, straight-headed windows throughout under hoodmoulds, except to vestry which has 3-light pointed windows and 2- and 3-light straight-headed windows; entrance to vestry a pointed plank door within moulded surround. Low parapet. Interior. Medieval triple-chamfered pointed tower arch under hoodmould with label stops and with double- chamfered sides. Nave has 4-bay triple-chamfered arcade on clustered piers with moulded capitals and bases and with roll-moulding to head. Ornate timber rood screen. Chancel is richly decorated with statues and has inner tracery to the windows. Triple sedilia and piscina. Roofs: aisles are vaulted with diagonally set ribs, nave and chancel have wagon roofs. Late C19 octagonal font with elaborate carved cover. Monuments: 2 Neoclassical marble wall monuments, black strigillated sarcophagi surmounted by white oil lamps in south aisle to Elizabeth Egerton and to the Kirkby family erected in 1795. In tower, to Sir Mark Masterman Sykes d 1823 by S Manning and J Bacon, a mourning female figure and broken column; and to Henrietta Masterman d 1813 by Rouw, a seated figure by a sarcophagus with an urn. Stained glass mostly by H V Milner, but north aisle windows by Burtison and Grylls. Pevsner N, Yorkshire, York and the North Riding, 1979, pp 343-4.

Listing NGR: SE9300364553

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
167850
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972), 343-4
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 22 Humberside,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Jan 2004
Reference: IOE01/11651/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les Waby. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].